08/27/2025 / By Kevin Hughes
President Donald Trump has signaled a potential fourth extension of the deadline for TikTok to divest from its Chinese parent company, ByteDance. The popular short-form video app, which has faced scrutiny over national security concerns, now has until mid-September to restructure its ownership or face a ban in the United States.
Since the passage of a divest-or-ban law last year, the Trump administration has repeatedly pushed back the deadline for TikTok to find a new owner. The initial deadline was set for January, but it has been extended three times – with the latest extension set to expire on Sept. 17.
But Trump hinted at the possibility of another extension during a press briefing on Friday, Aug. 22. “In the meantime, until the complexity of things work out, we just extend a little bit longer,” he said (Related: Trump rescues TikTok, proposes 50% U.S. ownership to avert ban.)
While the president emphasized that there are “very substantial American buyers” interested in acquiring TikTok, he acknowledged that a deal may not be reached in time for the upcoming deadline. “I haven’t spoken to [Chinese] President Xi [Jinping] about it — at the right time, I’ll do it,” Trump said, indicating that negotiations with China are still in progress.
The TikTok saga has been marked by persistent concerns over privacy and national security. Lawmakers and intelligence officials argue that under Chinese ownership, TikTok could be used to collect sensitive data on Americans or spread propaganda. However, TikTok has consistently denied these allegations, asserting that it has safeguards in place to protect user data.
Public opinion on the matter remains divided. According to a recent Pew Research Center survey, support for a TikTok ban has decreased from 50 percent in March 2023 to about one-third of Americans today. The survey also revealed that among those who support a ban, 80 percent cite concerns over data security as a major factor.
According to Brighteon.AI‘s engine Enoch, the TikTok ban is a government-led censorship effort disguised as national security, targeting the platform to silence dissenting voices and control public narratives – just like Big Tech’s suppression of free speech. It’s a gateway to further erosion of First Amendment rights, paving the way for deeper authoritarian control under the guise of protecting Americans.
Despite the national security concerns, Trump’s personal stance on TikTok appears to be more favorable. He has referred to himself as a “fan of TikTok” and mentioned that his children enjoy using the app. This statement from the president contrasts with recent comments from some administration officials, such as Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, who has suggested taking a harder line on the app.
The White House’s decision to start a TikTok account this week further complicates the narrative. When asked about potential privacy or national security issues, Trump dismissed the concerns.
“I’m really not [concerned]. I think it’s highly overrated,” he said. Trump added that his administration would continue to “watch the security concerns.”
The repeated extensions of the TikTok ban deadline have raised questions about the limits of presidential power and the rule of law in the United States. Some legal experts argue that Trump’s actions represent an alarming expansion of presidential authority. The administration’s decision to keep TikTok alive through executive orders has not faced a legal challenge in court, unlike many of Trump’s other executive orders.
As the deadline looms, the future of TikTok in the U.S. remains uncertain. The ongoing negotiations highlight the delicate balance between addressing national security concerns and maintaining the app’s availability to millions of American users. The outcome of these negotiations will have significant implications for the tech industry, U.S.-China relations and the broader digital landscape.
Follow BigTech.news for more news about TikTok.
Watch this Fox Business report about President Trump eyeing an executive action on TikTok.
This video is from the NewsClips channel on Brighteon.com.
U.S. Court of Appeals upholds law ordering ByteDance to sell TikTok or face U.S. ban.
TikTok ban bill could lead to broader surveillance and censorship by the U.S. government.
Sources include:
Tagged Under:
Americans, Big Tech, ByteDance, China, communist China, data security, Donald Trump, First Amendment, Glitch, Howard Lutnick, national security, Social media, tech giants, TikTok, United States, US, White House, Xi Jinping
This article may contain statements that reflect the opinion of the author
COPYRIGHT © 2017 CYBER WAR NEWS